Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Who to vote for Election 2008

I must confess that I'm a political animal who hasn't come out of his cage in quite some time. Maybe its the profession and I don't want to rock the boat by taking a stand for candidates when I really don't believe in any. Maybe its the lack of passion for political debate that seems too overdone while so many bigger things just sit unspoken. Maybe I'm just waiting for a candidate or even better a party that shares my values about the sanctity of life, freedom, personal and corporate responsibility, and above all the need to do the work of governing. I've been turned off by two...
I haven't always felt that way...
My sister and I were raised on political conventions and campaigning for our parent's favorite candidates. We hung out at the Dave Durenberger booth at the state fair every year for quite a stretch. My parents handed out literature for the senator. My dad even ran for state senate while I was in high school.
I've caucused and sub-caucused in a different party than my parents. In the fall of 98 I was at the victory party for the governor from a third party. It was a lot of fun back then, but times have changed.
I was raised in a political family; but my wife wasn't. Funny thing, the prospect of caucusing and naming her candidate out loud next month has her very excited, but I'm not that excited. My bride is leaning strongly one way and I told her that I would stand for the next most popular candidate in her party at the caucus. She won't have to go. I said that way we could just skip because my vote would cancel hers out. But she wants to go to stand up and I don't like her choice so now I'll go too. We plan to take our kids too. I told her I'd go and take one kid and stand up for one candidate while she takes the other and caucuses for another.

So here it is a couple weeks 'til super Tuesday, and now I've got to pick a candidate. I just want one with the will to govern.

No comments: