Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ministry Story

One of my challenges, this spring, is rebuilding our church's youth ministry. The church I serve is blessed with many families; but not much activity, beyond worship, for youth. Part of the situation was caused by history, extra-curricular school activities, and family structure; part is my own fault as pastor for not facing this challenge sooner; and part is the fault of others. Its obvious (at least to me) that the kids of our church are hoping for new places to connect. So this spring I've committed to rebuilding youth ministry.
Part of rebuilding youth ministry is finding connecting points for youth within our church. Yesterday and today we had a painting project. Yesterday we sanded, wire brushed, and washed the picnic tables under our shelter. Today we were finishing painting It was a straightforward project. And the kids had a great time.
My favorite story of the day is of one 9th grader who rode a bike over to church. He had deep red paint on his fingers and realized that he could fake like he'd been in an accident; so he quickly doctored his fingers, wrists and forearms to look like he'd been in an accident. He even put a little dirt over the latex paint to make the injury look a little more realistic. I only wish I could have been there to see his mom's expression when he got home to tell her.

No comments: