Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Raising daughters and training dogs

One morning last week one of our 6 year-olds was up early. She was wide awake at a time when a dad is usually the only one awake in our house on the Prairie. I get up everyday with Teddy (our 2 year-old American Water Spaniel). Not wanting her to be left out I invited her to come along on her bike while the dog and I ran. I wasn't sure if she'd say yes; but she was excited to be asked.
The three of us headed out. It was a good run and bike, about a mile out with a couple of good hills. Our turn arround was at a large park. The idea, in my mind, was to let the dog run off leash up the hill while our daughter checked out the prairie dog exhibit at the bottom of the hill.
Tough part was Teddy spotted a doe and gave chase. It was one classic moment. I was at the top of the hill with my daughter, still in sight, while the dog was in full chase of a deer on the other side of the hill. In just a few seconds I spotted him on top of the next hill. I called to both the dog and my daughter and neither one listened.
I went to get the girl first and she came with me calling, "Come here boy." After a few anxious moments for dad and daughter our dog came back into sight. When he reached us he was panting hard while smiling a little amused with himself.
We came home just in time to get cleaned up before Vacation Bible School. Not a bad morning adventure.

No comments: