Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Why call a church?

A woman asked during a parade, while I was riding in the vehicle pulling the church float, if I'd help with her wedding. I asked her to call me during the week so that we could visit for a while. We finally spoke today.
Her words were familiar. Other people have told me they wanted a pastor for their wedding but who don't want to be part of the church. "I believe in God and pray, but I don't believe in church."
She's picked a date and booked a park to get married in; now all she needs, she thinks, is a pastor. She called the congregation located a few blocks from the park. They're part of a denomination that's pretty strict about marrying members only.
Not sure who to call next she tried us. The plan is to sit down tomorrow and see what they have in mind.

3 comments:

Stratoz said...

not a minister, but a man who believes in planting seeds, and I hope that things worked out with this woman's desire. I was told by a seed planter, that God was probably in the traffic court where I got married.

John, an unlikely pastor said...

the wedding worked out ok. They weren't the usual crowd in church; but I serve with a congregation called Grace and try to show as much as possible.

troutbirder said...

Indeed. Well. Done. I noted your June comments on blogging. I enjoy blog writing for fun and amusement and occasional inspiration of others. My wife gave up facebook as too much like junior high. "I don't want to be your friend anymore." Huh?